Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Quick training update

I lost a couple pounds when I got sick a few weeks back, and I've finally put them back on. Last I checked I'm right on 72kg. In likely related news, I'm really starting to hit my stride with training. Last week took a bit of time to get moving again, but I'm hitting all my times, intensities, volumes, and coming back fresh each day. All this on top of adding 40 hours a week of labour at my new steel mill job. Some specifics...

Starting May 13:

Monday
RUN - 45min - 4x (2 on-1 off-1 on-30 off-30 on-30 off) on = 3:20/km pace, off = easy  running
SWIM - 30 minutes, rotation and catch drills, low cadence 50s (down to 14/length), 100 hard kick for fun

Tuesday
BIKE - 1 hour - steady tempo ride (~230W) and some 1-leg stuff
SWIM - 1 hour - 1km warm up (various things), 4x400m (swim-pull-pull-swim) on 6:45, 7, 7, 6:45 (swims in on 6:10)

Wednesday
BRICK - 75min - Bike (warm up, 2x Maki hill which is about 3km of steady climbing) into run (25 minute tempo at 3:38min/km pace)

Thursday
SWIM - 50min - standard 1km warm up, 3x100m on 2min, 2x50 on 2min all out from blocks, 100easy kick, 100 easy swim, 3x100m on 2 min, 2x50 on 2 min all out from blocks, 100 easy kick cd

Friday
OFF

Saturday
BIKE - 70min - TAG TT
RUN - 100min - Loooong run

Sunday
BIKE - 90min - moderate, hilly ride, unstructured

Monday
BRICK - 100min - Bike (4x6min 5-10% above ftp (300-315W), 4 min rest, 10min 300-315W), Run (30min tempo off bike (3:38min/km))

Tuesday
SWIM - 1 hour - standard 1km warm up, 3x200 on 3:10 (under 3:00), rest, 4x200 w/10 sec rest (swim-pull-swim-pull), swims under 3:00, 100m cool down

Wednesday
BIKE - 80min - 2x20min at ftp (285W), 5 min rest in between

Thursday
SWIM - 75min - 1km warm up, 5x400 with masters team (pull, kick, even 100s sprint, 6th 25 fly, hard for time), 100m cd
BRICK - 2:30 - Bike (long warm up, group ride with Sault Cycling Club, 10km uphill TT, short recovery ride), Run (5x1km between 3:13 and 3:16, 1:30 rest)

It wasn't until about Thursday that I really felt like I was coming into my own. Now, however, I may wake up tired if I had a long day before, but I feel ready by the evening to put in some more good work. I am sticking to my initial plan, but if by the end of the week (I admit, I front-loaded this week) I am still feeling great, I will add more work. Today I am scheduled to only do a swim, however I may add in an easy run or bike later tonight depending on how I feel. My legs are certainly tired from yesterday's great work, but I think I could benefit from a recovery workout.

I have a feeling this great block of training is due in part to getting back to that 72kg mark. I felt like I may have been just slightly under weight for a little while. I'm also back at home in the Sault which makes taking care of myself a little easier. That has got to help. I think the best training tip I can give someone is to let their parents take care of them. Haha...

You may notice that I'm doing a lot of "brick" workouts. I'm happy where my pure running is right now. Now is the time to make sure I can run off the bike. That's what I'm really training for, so I might as well make sure I'm great at that. I've pretty much moved all quality running to the back half of a cycling workout. In scheduling these weeks, I didn't write out any particular brick workouts. I wrote out workouts that would target the energy system I want to exercise, then arranged them... To create the brick workouts I decided what the most important pure cycling workout was and left it alone. Then I coupled bike and run workouts that would stress me in slightly different ways so I could still try and hammer both of them. I matched short, fast intervals on the bike to a tempo run, and a hilly time trial to a VO2Max interval run. In the coming weeks I will be moving even more towards very specific training. I am planning on practising my race-pace and hard, steady riding in my brick workouts and doing my over/under distance intervals in isolated sport workouts. The opposite of what I'm doing now. This transition will happen in the next week or so as one of my big important races is in about 4 weeks.

Here's a picture of me leaving the house in cycling gear to go run:


...my house has surveillance cameras.

Adam "You can never be too safe" Fortais

No comments:

Post a Comment